DANVILLE PUBLIC SCHOOLS SCHEDULES PARENT MEETINGS TO DISCUSS RETURN TO CLASSROOM
(September 25, 2020) – Danville Public Schools (DPS) will host meetings with parents/guardians and students to discuss the potential return to the classroom date for those students who selected face-to-face instruction.
The meetings, led by Dr. Catherine Magouyrk, Interim Superintendent, are intended to offer DPS parents, guardians, and students, an opportunity to engage in open and honest conversations about their experiences in navigating virtual learning environments and their concerns/comments about returning to the classroom.
“We have heard from our teachers and staff and now it is critical that parents’ voices are heard,” stated Dr. Magouyrk. “Health and safety are our top priorities but we believe that instructional goals are best achieved by maximizing in-person learning. We must reopen schools at some point and the information we gather in these meetings will assist me in making a decision that is best for our DPS community.”
Dr. Magouyrk will present her plan at the October 15, 2020 regularly scheduled school board meeting.
All meetings will take place in the George Washington High School Auditorium, located at 701 Broad St., except for the Danville Alternative Program which will meet in the Langston Auditorium, located at 228 Cleveland St. The meeting dates and times are based on where your child attends school.
- George Washington High School – Friday, September 25 (5:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.)
- Gibson Elementary School – Monday, September 28 (5:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.)
- Forest Hills Elementary – Tuesday, September 29 (3:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.)
- G.L.H. Johnson Elementary – Tuesday, September 29 (5:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.)
- Woodberry Hills Elementary – Wednesday, September 30 (5:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.)
- Galileo High School – Friday, October 2 (8:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. or 4:00 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.)
- Woodrow Wilson Intermediate – Monday, October 5 (3:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.)
- O.T. Bonner Middle – Monday, October 5 (6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.)
- Schoolfield Elementary – Tuesday, October 6 (5:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.)
- Danville Alternative Program – Wednesday, October 7 (11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.)
- Park Avenue Elementary – Wednesday, October 7 (12:45 p.m. – 2:15 p.m. or 6:00 p.m. – 7:30
- Westwood Middle School – Thursday, October 8 (6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.)
Masks are required, temperatures will be taken, and social distancing guidelines will be strictly enforced. Only one parent/guardian and one child may attend. Parents and guardians should contact their child’s school directly to confirm attendance.